A Weekly Topic

Notifications
Clear all

What's Your Biblical Handicap?

Admin
Topic starter
(@longestdrive)

Golf Handicap vs Biblical Handicap

Breaking the ice on the golf course can be as simple as asking, "What's your handicap?".  Wouldn't it be nice to have a biblical handicap?

Most of us are intimidated by the seemingly simple question.  If you haven't learned what a handicap is, you may think it's easy to determine. You can quickly determine how much time someone spends golfing by how they answer this question. You can also determine if they golf with pros, amateurs, or somewhere in between. 

Determining someone's biblical handicap is similar. Our Bible presents a variant difficulty based on the application we choose. If we were to compare Bible verses to golf strokes, we can tell how much time a person spends applying biblical truth to their life by how many verses it takes them to find the guiding words needed for their present challenge. We rarely witness a biblical hole in one.

Another aspect of lowering your biblical handicap is how far does each verse takes us. Much like golf, trying too hard or "REALLY HARD" is not the path to getting the distance we need from a lifesaving verse. 

2 Corinthians 12:9 ESV
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Discipleship will help you get more distance out of each verse. We can learn from each other's life struggles. If you are new to surrendering your life circumstances to God's guiding words, this verse may only get you through a few hours of 1 day. Being discipled by a strong Christian with a low biblical handicap can help you get a great distance from this verse.

by: Jason Collins

Topic Tags
Share: