- This event has passed.
Study Guide for the Forge -Romans 1:1-7
August 24 @ 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm MST
Study Guide for the Forge (8/24/21)
1 Paul, a servant [a] of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God, 2 which he promised beforehand through his prophets in the holy Scriptures, 3 concerning his Son, who was descended from David [b] according to the flesh 4 and was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord, 5 through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith for the sake of his name among all the nations, 6 including you who are called to belong to Jesus Christ, 7 To all those in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
- How does Paul introduce himself (v. 1)? Why do you think he chooses this particular way to describe himself? (Read 1 Cor 6:19-20, I Cor 7:23, Acts 20:28) (Read Exodus 21:5-6 – this reflects the attitude Paul submits himself to Christ with) Relate this to how we should see ourselves in Christ.
- What is the importance to Paul’s audience that the Gospel is “of God” and “promised beforehand through his prophets in the holy scriptures?” (Matt 5:17-18, Jer 31:31-34, Ezek 36:25-27, Isa 7:14; 9:6-7; 53:1-12)
- What do imagine it was like to be a new Christian in the church of Rome? What similar problems, challenges, and realities do you think we face in the church today? (I will be describing some of what it was like in Rome)
- Where can you see the “obedience that comes from faith” in your own life?
- Where is your Red Dot? (explain)
o Don’t fix or give advice (unless they expressly ask for it)
o Don’t pray (until the end of the night)
o Don’t make “have you thought about…”, “if it were me….”, or “that happened to me once” statements.
o Just listen and ask curious questions about what’s going on with them. Try to
UNDERSTAND what they’re going through and then just sit in it with them.